Hawthorne in Salem Search Hawthorne in Salem





Facebook Page
[Home]  

The Turner-Ingersoll House, aka The House of the Seven Gables

The Turner-Ingersoll House, aka The House of the Seven Gables

Postcard c. 1900; Garden View of The House of the Seven Gables
Postcard c. 1900; Garden View of The House of the Seven Gables
 
An important example of 17th century domestic architecture, the house at 54 Turner St. in Salem, known today as The House of the Seven Gables, was built in 1668 for the Salem merchant, Capt. John Turner. Since its erection, it has been expanded and remodelled frequently. The house had several owners after the Turners during the late 18th and 19th centuries, each of whom made various changes in the house. For example, the Ingersolls, Hawthorne's relatives, removed gables during reconstruction of the front porch. In 1908 when Caroline O. Emmerton, the founder of the House of Seven Gables Settlement Association,
purchased the house, she had the house restored, including the reinstatement of the gables, which actually number eight. Today the house is open to the public and is furnished in the style of 1840, the time when Hawthorne visited his cousins there.


Page citation: http://www.hawthorneinsalem.org/page/11426/


About US Privacy Policy Copyright Credits Site Map Site Help